The mission of the Department of Education is to develop committed and competent professionals who can withstand future challenges and serve the nation.
Excellence in Teacher Education, research and creative thinking in Humanities and Social Sciences for the betterment of individuals and society vision.
The Department of Education (DoE), University of Peradeniya (UoP) has had a long and remarkable history. In 1949 the Department of Education of University of Ceylon was established in Colombo. From its beginning this department conducted the Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) Programme of studies which supported the professional training of graduate teachers in the country. This programme of studies was very parallel in composition an in conduct to Post Graduate Certificate in Education in the University of London and some other Higher Educational institution in the United Kingdom.
- Bachelor of Education (Special) Degree Programme
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Full Time) Programme (PGDE FT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Week End) Programme (PGDE WE)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Physical Education Programme (PGD PE)
- Master of Education Programme (MEd)
- Master of Philosophy in Education Programme (MPhil)
- PhD in Education Programme (PhD)