Fundamental assumptions and concepts in religion will be examined in a comparative manner. Major themes of the religions of the world will be taken for critical analysis.
· Definition of religion; Religion and Magic, Science, Psychology, and Medicine.
· Concepts of Liberation: Moksha, Brahman, Nirvana and God.
· Study of the major religions: Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Judaic Religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam).
· Alternatives to religion: Critiques of religion: Marxism, Science, Humanism, Post Modern analyses of religion.
1. Dharmasiri, Gunapala.1988. A Buddhist Critique of the Christian Concept of God. California, Golden Leaves.
2. Smart, Ninian.1960. Dialogue of Religions. London, SCM Press.
3. Smart, Ninian.1968. Yogi and the Devotee. London, Allen & Unwin.
4. Smith, Huston.1991. The World’s Religions. New York, Harper Collins.