Prof. I M K Liyanage
Department of Political Science,
University of Peradeniya,
081 2389143, 071 8381653
- 1991, Ph.D. in Political Science, Keio University , Tokyo , Japan
- 1984, M .A. in Political Science, University of Peradeniya , Sri Lanka
- 1976, B.A. (Hons.- Second Upper Div.) University of Peradeniya
- 2004, Advanced Diploma in Human Rights, University of Strassbourg, France
- 1997, Post Doctoral Special Course in Advanced Feminist Studies, University of London
- 1996, Advanced Diploma in Conflict Resolution, University of Uppsala , Sweden
Appointments (Selected) :
- 2008 to date - Senior Professor in Political Science, University of Peradeniya
- 2000 - 2008 - Professor in Political Science
- 1991 - 2000 - Senior Lecturer - Grade 1
- 1984 - 1991 - Senior Lecturer - Grade 11
- 1977 -1984 - Asst. Lecturer
Memberships & Awards :
- 2004 -2005 Fulbright Fellowship- USA .
- 1998 -1999 Commonwealth Fellowship - UK .
- July -Dec, 1997 Visiting Research Fellowship, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan .
- 1996 Best Reserch Award, Annual Research Session, University of Peradeniya
- 1995 Prize - Purna Foundation for supplementary Reading for Grade 10-11.
- 1989 -1991 Takaku Scholarship, Japan
- 1988 -1990 Kobayashi Setsutaro Memorial Scholarship, Japan .
- 1988 -1990 Rural Asia Solidarity Foundation Scholarship, Japan .
- 1988 -1989 Pan Pacific Women's Association Scholarship, Japan .
- 1987- 1988 Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship, Japan .
- 1985 -1987 Japanese Government (Monbusho) Scholarship
- 1983 Hilda Obeysekera, Memorial Award, University of Peradeniya
Research Intersests :
Research Publications :
- Articles in Refereed Journals:
- 2008 January, “Political Science and Feminism: A Critical Analysis”, Sambavana , Vol.4, University of Peradeniya , pp.1-23.
- 2003, Dec. “Arranged and Love Marriages in Kandy, Sri Lanka: Evidence from 1978 -1998” , co authors, Wendy Cadge and Nina Paynter, Pakistan Journal of Women's Studies ,Vol.1:2. pp229-240.
- 2000, July -Dec. “Sri Lankan Women: Gender, Citizenship and Political Representation”, Sambavana , Vol1, pp.151-181.
- 1997, “Analysis of Policies Allocating University Resources in Heterogeneous Social System: A Case Study of University Admissions in Sri Lanka ”, Journal of Higher Education, Kluwer Academic Publications, pp. 437-457.
- 1997, “Women in Higher Education in Sri Lanka : A Case Study of University of Peradeniya” Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, Vol. 2: 4, pp389-410.
- 1996, “Party Women: Their Role in Sri Lankan Politics”, Pakistan Journal of Women's Studies, Vol.3: 3, pp.13-32.
- Articles in Edited Books:
- 2010, “Sinhala Buddhist Nationalism and Its Impact on gendered Political Participation in Sri Lanka , in religious Fundamentalism and Their gendered Impact in Asia , (eds.) Claudia Derich and Andrea Fleschenberg, Fedrich Ebert Stiftung, Berlin .
- 2007, “Influence of Gender Studies in Sri Lankan Education”, (Japanese), in Kotobato to Gender no Miraiza (Language and Gender (ed), Orie Endo, Akashi Publishers, Tokyo , pp. 206-226.
- 2006, “Theory of Supply and Demand on Women's Political Representation: A Critical Analysis on Socialisation and Role Conflicts (Sinhala) in Induwara, (eds) D. Amrasekera and R. Dasanayake, Ariya Publishers, Warakapola, pp. 11-28.
- 2005, “Women in Local Self-Governance in Sri Lanka: Dilemmas and Challenges” in Excluding Women, (eds) Morina Perera and Rasika Chandrasekera, Social Scientists' Association, Colombo, pp. 123-144.
- 2003, “Right to Participate in Constitution Making: Lessons for Sri Lanka “ in Right and Right to Participate: Democracy, Development and Human Rights in Post Colonial Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Foundation Institute and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo, pp. 1-18.
- 1999, “Electoral System and Women's Representation” in A New Electoral System for Sri Lanka (ed.) Laksiri Fernando and Dietmar Kneitschel, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo, pp. 34-40.
- 1999, “Women in Political Parties: The Sri lankan Ecperince” in Women and Politics in Sri Lanka (ed) Sirima Kiribamune, International Center for Ethnic Studies, Sri Lanka, pp.101-142.
- 1997, “Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions”, in Violence Against Women: Voices of Victims and Activists”, (ed) and published by Center for Women's Research, Colombo , pp.26-54.
- 1996, “Women's Participation in University of Peradeniya”, Proceedings of the Annual Research Sessions, University of Peradeniya, Sri lanka, pp. 21-48.
- 1993, “Friends and Foes of the Indo-Sri Lanka Accord” in Peace Accords and Ethnic Conflicts, (ed) K.M.de Silva, Pinter Publishers, London . pp. 156-172.
- 1992, “women in Parliamentary Politics in Sri Lanka” in Women at Crossroads: A Sri Lankan Perspective, (eds.) Sirima Kiribamune and Vidyamali Samarasinghe, Vikas Publsihing House, New Delhi, pp. 72-95.
- Books and Monographs:
- 2012, Is Men and Women's Political Representation Equal? Theory and Practice of Gender Quotas, (Sinhala and Tamil) Fredrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2012, Increasing Women's Political Representation in Local Governments: Challenges and Expectations, (Sinhala and Tamil) Fredrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2012, Gender In/equality Practices in Higher Educational Institutions: Perspectives from the University of Peradeniya , co-author - Leoma Vandort, Center for Women's Research, Colombo .
- 2012, Efforts to Improve Women's Representation in Local Governments in Central Province, Sri Lanka, co-author Shobana Rajendran, (English and Tamil) Center for Women's Research, Colombo.
- 2012, Political Representation of Sri Lankan Women (Sinhala), Women for Peace and Good Governance, Sri Lanka .
- 2012, Training Module on Gender, Democracy and Good Governance (Sinhala), Women for Peace and Good Governance, Sri Lanka .
- 2008, Beyond the Glass Ceiling: Participation in Decision-Making in the Public Domain: Training Module for Women in Management Positions, (English and Sinhala)co-authors, Wijaya Jayathileke, Shamala Kumar, Agnes Mendis and Mallika Manurathne, Centre for Women's Research, Colombo.
- 2008, Protection and Promotion of Female Migrant Workers Rights: Training Module for Trainers, Co-authors, T. Leitan and S. Gunasekere, ILO and Migrant Service Center , Colombo .
- 2006, Gender and Feminism, (Sinhala) co-author Sumudu Walakuluge, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2006, Gender and Vocational Training: Training Manual, (Sinhala) ILO Office: Colombo .
- 2005, Human Rights: Theory and Practice, (Sinhala) Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2004, Capacity Building to Improve Participation of Women in Local Governance: A Comparative Study, Center for Women's Research, Colombo .
- 2004, School Based Understanding on Human Rights and Gender Equality, Sri Lanka Foundation Institute and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2002, The Road to Development Opened up by the Interaction of Women, (English and Sinhala), Konrad Adenaur Stiftung, Colombo .
- 2002, Gender and Politics Training Manual: Skills and Capacity Building for Women Political Leaders, Co-authors Alison Agrawal, Siraz Bulsara and Farah Kabeer, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development, Thailand.
- 2000, A Gendered Analysis of the Micro-political Environment of University of Peradeniya, Center for Women's Research, Colombo .
- 1999, Japan and Sri Lanka : Economic, Political and Cultural Relations, Institute of Developing Economies, Tokyo .
- 1998, Women's Political Participation in Sri Lanka , (Sinhala) Fredrich Ebert Stiftung, Colombo .
- 1998, Principles of Political Science, (Sinhala) Chapters 2, 3, 9 & 11, Educational Publications Department, Colombo .
- 1997, Increasing Women's Political Awareness and Participation: Hand Book for Trainers, Canadian International Development Agency, Colombo .
- 1997, Human Rights in Sri Lanka (Supplementary Reading for Grade 9-11), Purna Educational Development Foundation, Colombo .
- 1990, Sinhala Tamil Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka : Failure of Public Policies, Kobayashi Setsutaro Memorial Foundation, Fujixerox, Tokyo .
- 1990, Japanese Women in Paid Employment, Nihon Josei no Koyo Jotai (Japanese translation), Kobayashi Setsutaro Memorial Foundation, Fujixerox, Tokyo .
- 1988, Japanese Women and Paid Employment, Kobayashi Setsutaro Memorial Foundation, Fujixerox, Tokyo .
- Published Abstracts:
- 2006, ‘From Beijing to New York: Gains and Gaps in Sri Lanka”, in Gender Mainstreaming and Women's Advancement in South Asia, Report of South Asian Conference, Center for Development Studies, New Delhi,. pp. 28-29.
- 2004, “Capacity Building to Increase Participation of Women in Politics”, Report on Ninth national Convention, Center for Women's Research, Colombo , pp.30-31.
- 1996, “Overview of CEDAW: Country Presentation- Sri Lanka , in Gender Equality in Asia and the Pacific: A Call to Action, Gender and Development Research Institute, Jakarta , pp. 10-12.
- 1996, “Women in Sri Lanka : Women in Higher Education” Abstract, A.C.U Bulletin of Current Documentation, No 126, Association of Commonwealth Universities , UK . p. 35.
- Unpublished Dissertations:
- 1991, Sri Lanka: A Socio-psychological Study on Sinhala - Tamil Ethnic Conflict, (Ph.d. Thesis) Dept of Law and Political Science, University of Keio, Tokyo.
- 1984, Decentralised Administration and the District Ministerial System in Sri Lanka : A study of the Concept of Decentralisation, (M.A. Thesis)Dept of Political Science, University of Peradeniya .
|Other Credentials :
- 2006 6th April, Role of Women's Parliamentary Caucus: A Comparative Analysis, at the Inaugural Ceremony of Sri Lankan Women's Parliamentary Caucus, Parliament of the Democratic, Socialist Republic, Sri Lanka.
- 2005, 11 th Oct. Human Rights of Women: Achievements and Challenges, at the Presentation of the Revised Women's Charter, Parliamentary Building, Colombo, organized by the National Women's Committee.
- 2003, 8 th March, Importance of Women's Political Representation, at the Commemoration of the International Women's Day, organized by the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Colombo.
- 2002, 8 th March, Women and their Political Rights, Commemoration of the International Women's Day, Kandy .
- 2002, 21 st March, Japanese Economic Assistance Towards Peace and Prosperity of Sri Lanka, Keynote address on 50 th Anniversary of Sri Lanka - Japan Diplomatic Relations, organized by the Embassy of Japan and Japanese Graduates' Alumni Association, Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Colombo.
- Guest Speech - (only) International
- 2005, 14 th April, Women's Status in Sri Lanka , Asian Studies Center , University of Pittsburgh , USA .
- 2005, 8 th April, Women's Role in Peace Building in Sri Lanka, Faculty of Law, American University, Washington DC.
- 2005, 20 th Feb. Sri Lankan Women Migrant Workers and Their Experiences, Institute of Development Studies, American University, Washington DC .
- Presentations at International Conference
- 2012, Status of Sri Lankan Women: Achievements and Challenges, South Asia Gender Summit, organized by Fredrich Ebert Stiftung, India and Sri Lanka, Sri Lankan Foundation Institute, Colombo.
- 2011, Women's Political Participation in Local Level Politics in Sri Lanka: A Critical Analysis, Interrnational Workshop on Decentralised Administration and Local Governments, Kerala Institute of Local Administration, India.
- 2008, Religious fundamentalism and their Gendered Impact on Women's Political Participation, International Conference on Religious Fundamentalism and Women organized by Fredrich Ebert Stiftung Unversity, Berlin, Germany.
- 2008, Social Movements and Political parties: Civil Society and Women's Political Interests, International Conference on State and Democratic functioning of Political parties: From a Gender Perspective, organised by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, India and Thailand, Bangkok.
- 2008, Strategies to Increase Women's Political Representation, International Conference on Women and Young Person's Defining Politics and Peace, organised by the Commonwealth Secretariat, Colombo.
- 2008, Women in Local Politics in Sri Lanka International Conference on South Asian Leadership Development for Locally Elected Women, organized by Agaz Foundation and Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities, New Delhi.
- 2007, Women in Higher Education Management in Sri Lanka, Commonwealth Training Trainers Workshop organized by Association of Commonwealth Universities, Fathima Jinnah University, Pakistan.
- 2007, Sri Lankan Women: Education and their Political Empowerment, International Conference on Women's Empowerment and Social Transformation, Lahore University, Pakistan.
- 2006, Gender Quotas for Women's Political Representation: A Comparative Study, International Conference on Women's Democracy, orgnaised by International Republican Institute - USA , Indonesia .
- 2006, Women's Just Share: Empowering Women in the Political Arena, International Conference on Women in Today Media, organized by North-South University, Konrad Adenaur Stiftung and ICPRD, Colombo.
- 2006, Conflict, Peace and Children, International Workshop on Conflict management and Resolution, organized by the International Center for Ethnic Studies, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- 2006, In how Far are Quota Regulations a Suitable tool to Achieve a Significant Gender Quantitative and Qualitative Change?, International Conference on Gender Concerns in Politics, organized by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, India and Sri Lanka, Colombo.
- 2005, Gender Mainstreaming and Advancement of Women in Sri Lanka, International Conference on Gender Mainstreaming and Advancement of Women in South Asia, organized by Fredrich Ebert Stiftung and Center for Development Studies, India.
- 2004, Women in Politics: The Sri Lankan Experience, European Union Seminar on Women in Politics: The Approaches of the EU, organized by the Fredrich Ebert Stiftung, Brussels .
- 2004, Women's Political representation at the Local government Level: A Case for Affirmative Action, International Conference on Women in Local Politics, organized y Northern Illinois University and the Center for Women's Research, Colombo.
- 2004, Strategies for Empowering Women in Local Governance: A Comparative Study Learning from India, USA and Sweden, International Conference on Towards Equality: Global Empowerment of Women, organised by the Fulbright Commission, Atlanta, USA.
- 2004, Status of Human rights in Sri Lanka : Protection, Promotion and Violation, Eleventh _ISIS Colloquium on Human Rights, Philippines .
- 2001, Participation of Sri Lankan Women in Politics, International Conference on Women in Politics, organized by the South Asia Partnership, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh, Colombo.
- 2000, South Asian Security Situation and Co-operation from SAARC and Non SAARC countries, Conference organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan , Tokyo .
- 1998, Violence against University Women; A Study of Prevention and Countermeasures, Center for Research on Education and Gender, University of London , UK .
- 1998, Conception of Equal Opportunity Policies in Higher Education in the United Kingdom, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Foundation - St Catherine's Conference on Values in Commonwealth Education, Windsor, UK.
- 1998, Trends in Higher Education in England from a Gender Perspective, Gender and Higher Education in England, Japan and USA, organized by the British Council and the Ford Foundation, University of London, UK.
- 1997, Re-examining the Women's Movement against Gender-based Violence: Success and Actions still Needed, Seminar on Ending Violence against Women and Girls in South Asia , UNICEF Regional Office, Kathmandu .
- 1997, Psychological Factors in Ethnic Conflict (co-authors Balcutt Jimmy and Isumonah V. Adefemi, Seminar on Conflict Resolution, Dept of Peace and Conflict Research, University of Uppsala, Sweden.
- 1996, CEDAW, Committing the Sri Lankan Government for Ratification and Implementation: Approaches Strategies and Tools, CEDAW Regional Workshop on gender Equality in Asia and the Pacific: A Call to Action , organized by Asia Pacific Women in Politics and Asia Foundation, Jakarta.
- 1966, Women's Political Awareness and Consciousness: Perspectives from Sri Lanka, Workshop on Training Trainers on Increasing Women's Political Awareness, Asia Foundation, Philippines.
- 1966, A Critical Evaluation on female Labour in the Plantation Sector, Workshop on Gender Democracy, Canadian International Development Agency, Colombo.
- 1992, Electoral Process in Sri Lanka: Experiences of National Elections (1978-1989), International Conference on the Democratisation Process in South Asia, International Center for Ethnic Studies in collaboration with the Ford Foundation, CIDA Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Macarthur Foundation, Colombo.
- 1989, Women in Tea Plantation and Their Problems, Asia pacific International Women's Symposium, organized by Osaka Prefectural Government, Osaka, Japan.
- 1987, Japanese Women in national Politics, Open Seminar, Fusae Ichikawa Memorial Foundation, Tokyo , Japan .
Back to Top