Pre-requisite: PSY 101, PSY 302
This course gives an introduction to child development from the period of infancy to 4 years focussing on social behaviour and cognitive aspects.
Symbolic Ability (Imitation, Play, Drawing), Self-Awareness, Empathy and Moral Sense, Family Interactions in the Second and Third Years, Language Acquisition, Theories of Language Acquisition, Communication and Learning Disorders.
1. Newcombe, N.1996. Child Development, Change over Time. New York, Harper Collins College Publishers.
2. Henderson, R.W. and Bergab, J.R.1976. The Cultural context of childhood. Ohio, Bell and Howell Company.
3. Harley, R.E. Frank, L.K. and Goldenson, R.M.1952. Understanding Children's play. New York, University Press.
4. Stephens, J.M. and Evans, E.D.1973. Development and Classroom Learning, An Introduction to Educational Psychology. New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
5. Kastenbaum, R.1979. Humans Developing, Lifespan Perspective. Massachusetts, Allyn and Bacon.