Kowsalya Duraisamy is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. She teaches in a variety of areas including Sociological Theory, Social Research and Applied Sociology. Her primary focus of research lies on a range of gender, health and development related study areas including public health; women, work and well-being; and various aspects of the Sri Lankan estate sector Tamil community that help the conversation of community health and social development.
- BA (Hons) in Sociology (University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka)
- MPhil in Sociology (University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka)
- PhD – Global Women’s Studies (National University of Ireland, Galway) – Reading
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya. (February 2012-up to date)
- Visiting Lecturer, Post-graduate Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences (PGIHS), 2019-2021
- Department Representative, Faculty Quality Assurance Cell (FQAC) 2020-2021
- Member, Welfare Committee, Senior Common Room, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya, 2020
- Coordinator, ‘Personality, Leadership and Ethics’ (ESS 1006), Faculty of Arts, 2019/2020
- Committee member, Peradeniya Arts Faculty Teachers’ Association (PAFTA), 2019-2020
- Resource Person, Seminar Series-External BA, Centre for Distance and Continuing Education (CDCE), 2019
- Translator, Course Unit Manuals, Centre for Distance and Continuing Education (CDCE), 2020
- Member, Expert Panel of Reviewers, Research Congress, PGIHS, 2019
- Member, Editorial Committee, Under-graduate Research Congress, Faculty of Arts (URCFA), 2018
- Committee member, International Conference on the Humanities and the social sciences (ICHSS), 2018.
- Member, Expert Panel of Reviewers, iPURSE, 2017.
- Volunteer Student Counselor, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya, 2012-2014
- Lesson writer, Quality and Innovation Grant (QIG), HETC Project, OUSL.
- Temporary Assistant Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya. (2011-2012)
- Voluntary Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya. (2010)
- Public Health, Health and Development, Women’s work and well-being.
- Duraisamy, K. (2018). Health and Medicine among the Plantation Tamils in Sri Lanka: A Historical Perspective. 150 years of Tea in Sri Lanka. Express News Papers (Ceylon) Ltd. Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2015). Labour Movements and Political Mobilization of Indian-Origin Estate Sector Tamils in Sri Lanka. ‘Politics and Social Movements’ course module, Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2019) Book Review - Tea and Solidarity: Tamil Women and Work in Postwar Sri Lanka (By Mythri Jegathesan) Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. PGIHS, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Standard of Living of the Indian Origin Tamils in the Sri Lankan Estate Sector. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 4, Issue 3, March 2014, ISSN 2250-3153.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Karl Marx on Religion, Ilangathir 2013/14, University of Peradeniya: Thamilchangam.
- Duraisamy, K. (2012). Student Motivation in School Education – A Behavioural Approach, Ilangathir 2011/12, University of Peradeniya: Thamilchangam.
Abstracts (International & National Conferences)
- Duraisamy, K. (2019). Social Dimensions of Breastfeeding and Weaning Patterns in the Sri Lankan Estate Sector. The World Conference on Child and Youth. The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM). 04th-05th July 2019, Colombo.
- Duraisamy, K. (2016). Estate Women in the Battle of Gendered Poverty: A Multidimensional Approach towards Feminization of Poverty in the Sri Lankan Estate Sector. International Conference on Social Work-Social Development and Sustainable Development Goals. International Consortium for Social Development, Asia Pacific Branch with Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka and Charles Sturt University, Australia.
- Duraisamy, K. (2015) Self-Reliance Strategy in Sri Lankan Rural Development: A Study with Special Reference to Seeds (Guarantee) Ltd of the Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement, Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, November 2015, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Income and Indebtedness in the Sri Lankan Estate Sector: An Investigation of Saving Habits among Indian-Origin Tamils in Sri Lanka, Peradeniya University International Research Session, July 2014, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Sri Lankans in the International Job Market: Consequences of Brain Drain and the Need for Brain Gain, International Conference on Sri Lanka in World Affairs, July 2014, Department of International Relations, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2013). A Medical Anthropological Study on the Significance of the Navagraha in Ritualistic Health Seeking Behaviours of Hindus, 2nd International Conference on Social Sciences, November 2013, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Tamil Diasporic Perceptions of Post-War Reconciliation in Sri Lanka: with Special Reference to Diasporic Portrayals Recorded in Social Media. 15th Annual Research Symposium, October 2014, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- Duraisamy, K. (2014). Uncovering the Latent Dimensions of Post-War Ethnic Reintegration between Sinhala and North-East Tamil Youths in the Sri Lankan State Universities. 15th Annual Research Symposium, October 2014, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
Awards and Scholarships
Honours & Awards (Selected Only):
- Rathna Deepa Award for Literature Skills-2004, Hill Country Cultural and Arts Association, Kandy.
- Merit for Outstanding Performance, Skills Development Programme-2004, Kandy Arts Council
Courses and Training Programs:
- “Uncovering Pathways of Change along the Belt and Road”, Summer School, Organized by University Ca’ Foscari in collaboration with VIU, Venice, Italy, 2019.
- IELTS, British Council, Kandy, 2019.
- Writing in English, Alumni Association of University of Peradeniya (AAUP), 2014.
- English Academic Speaking and Writing Skill, British Council, 2013.
- Induction Program for Academic Staff, University of Peradeniya, 2013.
- Global Campus Program Online Lecture: Advanced Course, 2011.
- Human Rights, Centre for the Study on Human Rights, University of Peradeniya, 2007.
- Microsoft Office, Asian Computer Education, CSC, Kandy, 2006.
- Practical Course in Human Rights, Centre for the Study of Human Rights, University of Colombo, 2001.