Dr.Manurathne is an academic in the Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya. He completed his Special degree in Sociology, 1983 and M.Phil in Sociology, 1999 at University of Peradeniya. Later he successfully completed his PhD at the University of New England, Australia, under the World Bank scholarship in 2010.
- PhD (2010), Sustainable Community Development: A Case Study of Community Participation in Community development projects in the Mahaweli Resettlement Scheme in Sri Lanka, University of New England, Australia.
- M.Phil (1999), Role Changes of Women within Their Families in Mahaweli Resettlements of Sri Lanka: A Sociological Study of Mahaweli System ‘C’, University of Peradeniya.
- B.A.in Sociology (Hons) Upper Division (1983), University of Peradeniya.
- (Present) Senior Lecturer (Grade-1) , Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya,
- (2011) Warden, Sarasavi Uyana Hostel, University of Peradeniya.
- (2013) Chair Person, Senior Student Councilors’, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya.
- (2013- up to now) Member of Governing Board, the Centre of Human Right, University of Peradeniya.
- (2014) Co-chairperson, Traffic and Security Sub-committee, General Conversation, University of Peradeniya.
- ( 2014) Co-chairperson, Health and Sanitary, Sub-committee, General Conversation, University of Peradeniya.
- (1992-19930) Visiting Lecturer, School of Cooperative Training School, Polgalla.
- (2004) Visiting Lecturer, The Buddhasravaka Bikshu University of Anuradhapura.
- Committee Member (2013- up to now), faculty Land and Building Management committee, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya
- Research interests include the community development, sustainable development and gender studies. He specialises in community participation and resettlement planning.
Completed and Ongoing Research
- ."Gender and Development", Gender and Economics Open University of Sri Lanka . A Lesson for B.A. part-1 students, Open University of Sri Lanka.2001 PP 40-45.
- Changing Role of Women within Their Family: A Sociological study of Mahaweli System " C " Induwara Ariya Publishers,Warakapola-2003 PP 187
- “Labour Participation of Women Agricultural Activities” Centre for Women's Research (CEWOR) Colombo , 2003
- Family, Social Changes and Women Participation in Economics Activities in Rural Sri Lanka . Professor A.D.P.Kalansooriya Felicitation Volume , Ariya Publisher, Warakapola. 2004 PP 475-92.
- Sustainable Community Development: A Case Study of AMDP System “C” in Sri Lanka- Paper Presented at Workshop on Post-Graduate Research Conference, University of New England , Australia , 8-9 July 2010
Awards & scholarships
- Hilmy Manzil Memorial Price for the best graduate in Sociology, University of Peradeniya. -1983.
- Wilhelm Fellowship, ISLE Program, Bowdoin College, 2001.
- The World Bank Scholarship for the PhD studies, IRQUE Project, 2005-2009.
- Higher Study Grant from the National centre for the Advancement of Humanities and Social Sciences, University Grant Commission and the Ministry of Higher Education in Sri Lanka, 2005-2008.
- Travel Grant, School of Humanities, University of New England, Australia-2010