Dr. Upali Weerakoon is a Senior Lecturer attached to the Department of Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. He has worked as a Temporary Lecturer, Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale. He earned his B.A. (Hons) in Sociology from the University of Peradeniya in 1994. Subsequently, he obtained his M.Phil in Sociology from the same university in 2002 and obtained the PGD in Education from the Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda in 2006. Later he successfully completed his Ph.D at the University of Peradeniya in 2012. His interested research areas are rural sociology, social problems, social work and welfare and sociology of education.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), “The Role of Kinship in the Resettlement Process among the Sinhala Peasants Displaced by the War in Sri Lanka”. University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 2012
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil), “A Sociological Study on the Role of family in Heroin Addiction in Sri Lanka”. University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 2002
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), Open University of Sri Lanka, Nawala, Nugegoda. 2006
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A) (Hons), in Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 1994
- Senior Lecturer (Gr. II), Department of Sociology, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Temporary Lecturer, Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale.2008-2009
- Visiting Lecturer in Sociology for External Degree Programme of the University of Sri Jayawardhanapura, Nawala. Conducted by National Youth Service Council.2002- 2007Visiting Lecturer in Sociology for External Degree Programme of the University of Sri Jayawardhanapura, Nawala. Conducted by National Youth Service Council.2002- 2007
- Rural Sociology
- Social Problems
- Social Work and Welfare
- Sociology of Education
- Identification, Classification and Production of Drug.(Mathdrawviya. Hadunageneema, Vargeekaranaya saha Nishpadana Ratawa.) Warakapola, Ariya Publication. 2003
- Religious Beliefs and Rural People. (Agamika Vishvasha saha Gemi Janathawa). Mapa Graphics and Publication, Urapola, Nittabuwa. 2003
- Sociology. Analyze-1 (Samajaviddiyawa. Viwaranaya-1). Mapa Graphics and Publication, Urapola, Nittabuwa. 2003
- Collected Letters of Social Sciences. (Samajeeya Viddiya Vimarshana Lipei). Kandy Offset Printers Ltd. Peradeniya Road, Kandy. 2007
- Gods Worship and Multiracial. (Bahuwargikathwaya saha Devawandanaya). Kandy Offset Printers Ltd. Peradeniya Road, Kandy. 2010
- “Displaced People Due to War and Resettlement Process: A Role of Kinship”. Social Sciences and Humanities Review, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Ruhuna Volume 02, No. 02, March 2015, ISSN: 2279-3933. pp. 14-26
- “Introduction to the drugs and analysis of the definition of drugs”. P.B. Prathiba “Uwasara” collection of papers in Honor of Senior Professor P.B. Ekanayake. Wijesooriya Granta Kendraya. Colombo. 2012. pp. 331-345
- Does family obligation in the context of current challenges. ( Samaja Abhiyoga Hamuwe Paule Wagakeema Ituweda?). Navayugaya. 2004 January. pp. 64-65
- • A Study of Pulleyer Cult in a Selected Area of the Vavuniya District from the Perspective of Sinhala-Tamil Relations and Multiculturalism Reflections 2010: Managing Diversity, Reconciliation and Development. 1st and 2nd November 2010, Galadari Hotel, Colombo. Organized by GTZ, Ministry of National Languages & Social Integration and European Union.
- • Religion and mental health in the conflict affected areas. Paper Presented with Professor K.T. Silva. 05th and 06th October 2010.University of Peradeniya. Organized by Trauma and Global Heath (TGH) Program of People’s Rural Development Association (PRDA) Sri Lanka.
- Member of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, Vidya Mandiraya, 120/10, Colombo 7.
- 2010: Research Grant from the Facilitating Local Initiatives for Conflict Transformation (FLICT), Colombo, Sri Lanka. Research on pulleyar cult in a selected area of the vavuniya district from the perspective of Sinhala–Tamil relation and multiculturalism
Awards and scholarships:
- Senior Students Counselor, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya. 01/01/2016 to 31/12/2016
- Volunteer Student Counselor- Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya. 2015
- Member of the Faculty Student Afairs and Advisory Committee. 28th January 2016 to 28th January 2017.
- Member of the Arts Faculty Student Affairs and Advisory Committee effected from 28th January 2016.
- Treasure, Sociology Alumina Association, Department of Sociology, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya 2015/2016
- Warden, Hindagala Hostel, University of Peradeniya, 15/01/2015 to 31/ 12/2015
- Academic Sub warden. Mahasen Boys Hostel, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka. Mihintale. 2008-2009.
- Member of the Syllabus Revision Committee for preparing a report related with the QEF 3rd round of the IRQUE Project, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Mihintale.- 2008
- Television Programmes - “Development Notes” in Sinhala. Programme No. 27 Telecasted on the 05th of June 2011, Young Asia Television Channel. Net. Development Diaries. Young Asia TV
- Justice of the Peace ( All Island) Regi. No.09/10/CP/MD/114. Appointed by Ministry of Justice and Law Reforms, Sri Lanka.