Sellathurai Sutharsan, Lecturer in Tamil, had his primary Education at J/ Vasavilan Roman Catholic School and secondary education at J/ Uduppiddy American Mission Collage. He completed his Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree in Tamil (First class) at the University of Peradeniya. He subsequently obtained his M.Phil degree also from the University of Peradeniya.
- B.A.(Hons) University of Peradeniya, 2005
- M.Phil. University of Peradeniya, 2015.
- PhD Reading scholar at Tamil University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Lecturer, Department of Tamil, University of Peradeniya .From 2013
- Research Assistant, Department of English, University of Peradeniya, From 2009
- Lecturer (Temporary) Department of Tamil, University of Peradeniya, 2005 - 2009
- Visiting lecturer (Part time) (Tamil As a second language), Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of Peradeniya, 2008.
- Visiting lecturer (Part time) (Tamil As a second language), Alumni Association, University of Peradeniya. 2007 - 2008.
- Volunteer student counselor, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya. 2007/2008
Modern Tamil Poetry, Practical Criticism and Literary Appreciation, Modern Literary and Critical Theories, History of Literary Criticism, Prosody and Alankara, sangam Poetry and Poetics, Epic Poetry, Linguistics and Grammatical Traditions, Development of Tamil Literature in Sri Lanka, The Bhakti Movement and Devotional Poetry, Sri Lankan Temple literature, Colonial period literature.
- Marumalarchi – Collection of Magazines (co-editor) Sarvananthamaya Peedam, Sri Lanka.2014.
- Sivasampu pulavar pirapantha perum thiratu (An anthology of sivasampu pulavar poems) (Compiled & Edited) pulavar iilam, uduppiddy, 2014
- Yappilakkanam (The Tamil Prosody) Thiruvadi Publication, Jaffna - Colombo, 2011.
- Sanithijan Thellamuthu, (Galands of Murugan at Sellva Sannithi Temple of Pulavarmani Neelakandan), (Compiled & Edited) Uduppiddy: Pulavarmani Neelakandan’s first year memorial publication .2016.
- Sempulam (Research Papers on literature), Kribs Printers, Colombo, 2006.
- Mattrumoru Maalai (Collection of Poems) Ekalaivan publication.Uduppiddy, Jaffna.2004.
- En thesaththil Naan (Collection of Poems) (Compiled & Edited) University of Peradeniya) Colombo: Mallikai Panthal Publication.2004.
- Marumalarchi Kavithaikal (An Anthology of renaissance poems - with an introduction & research of the Sources), (Compiled & Edited) Colombo: Kribs Printers, 2006.
- Villoonri Kanthaswamy Venpa, (Galands of Murugan at Villoonri Kanthaswamy Temple of Pulavarmani Neelakandan), (Compiled & Edited) Uduppiddy: Pulavarmani Neelakandan’s second year memorial publication .2017.
- Sathalum puthuvathanre (Poems about philosophy of death, with comments)(Compiled and Edited) Late kunaradnam kunasingam Memorial Publication, Jaffna, 2010.
- Kanthavana Manimaalai (Galands of Skanda at Kanthavanam Temple of Pulavarmani Neelakandan), (Compiled & Edited) Polikandy: Sri Kanthavanam Kalyanavelava Suwamy Devasthanam. 2015.
- Paralai Vinayagar Pallu (Pallu poems on Paralai Vinayagar of Nallur Sinnathamby Pulavar) (Compiled & Edited), Chulipuram: Late Shanmuganathan’s memorial Publication. 2015.
- Gnanaguru (Essays about Pulavarmani Neelakandan) Uduppiddy: Pulavarmani Neelakandan’s memorial publication.2015.
- Avvai Amuthu (An Anthology of aathisoodi & konraiventhan with comments), (Edited) Late Satkunathevi Sellathurai Memorial Publication, Jaffna, 2011.
- Nadaraja Dharshanam (Collection of Essays) (Compiled & Edited) Mr.K.Nadarajah’s Felicitation Volume, J/ Uduppidy American Mission College. 2006.
- Hindu Dharmam (Essays of Students and Staffs) (Compiled & Edited) Hindu Union, University of Peradeniya. 2004.
- Tamil Sahithya Festivel Special Magazine (co - editor), Ministry of Hindu Cultural, Youth Affairs and Education (Tamil) Central Provincial Council. 2011.
- Modern Sri Lankan Tamil poetry from the perspective of Resistance Literature – A special study based on Sri Lankan Tamil poetry of the 1980s. University of peradeniya. 2014.
- Literature and Ideology: A special study based on Marumarlarchi magazines in Sri Lanka, University of peradeniya. 2005.
Research Papers (selected)
- Sri Lankan Tamil poetry of 19th century: Change and Innovation, Nurturing Tamil studies in the era of globalization, 9th International conference, vol-3, International institute of Tamil Studies, Kuala Lumpur: University of Malaya. 2015.
- A critical study of Murugaijan’s Linguistics works, World Classical Tamil Conference, Medras: International institute of Tamil Studies, 2010. pp. 435-436.
- Modern Puram Poetry and its Political Dimension, Thanjavur Tamil University: All India University Tamil Teacher’s Association, vol-6. 2015.
- Padan thinai and Panatruppadai - A Sociological perspective, sangam literature world conference, Ministry of Hindu Religious Affairs and Moral Upliftment, Department of Hindu Religious and Cultural Affairs, Colombo – Sri Lanka., 2006.
- Adolescence: Creativeness and Appreciation, National Library Service Board, Central province. Kandy 2006.
- A study of renaissance poems in Sri Lanka, An Anthology of renaissance poems Colombo: Kribs Printers, 2006. Pp.11-33
- Memorial writings tradition in Sri Lanka, Vaanavil, souvenir – 160th Anniversary of Uduppiddy American Mission Collage, C olombo: Past pupils’ Association.2013.
- Patriotic songs and Politics in Sri Lanka, War Literature Special Issue, Colombo: Gnanam. 2012.pp. 529 – 552.
- Development of Sri Lankan Tamil literature and Marumalarchi Magazine, 75years Special Volume, Paranthan: Murugananda collage. 2014. pp.39-49.
- Literary contribution of Nallur Sinnathamby Pulavar, Chulipuram: Gnana Deepam. 2015.
- Poetic tradition of Sivasambu pulavar in History of Sri Lankan Tamil Poetry, Collected works of Sivasambu pulavar, Uduppiddy: Pulavar Illam.2014. Pp.19-75.
- The writing history of Sri Lankan Tamil Diaspora literature – The study based on Kuneswaran’s Writings, The special issue of Sri Lankan’s Diaspora Tamil literature, Colombo: Gnanam. 2015.
- Bhakthi Literature of the Pallava period from the historical perspective of slavery, Hindu Dharmam, Hindu student union. University of Peradeniya, 2008. PP 20-25.
- Prof. S.Vithiyananthan ‘s Contribution to the Development of Srilankan Tamil Literature, Prof.V.Nandkumar’s Manivizha felicitation volume, Manivizha Society, Peradeniya, 2008. PP. 217-226.
- Sivasambu Pulavar: Kaala aarachi, Collected works of Sivasambu pulavar, Uduppiddy: Pulavar Illam.2014. Pp.570-575.
- Experiments of new forms in Sri Lankan Tamil Short Stories, Ilankathir, Tamil society. University of Peradeniya, 2008. PP.44-49.
- Ideology, Society & Literature, Thiruvudaiyaal, Cultural Society, Divisional Secretariat, Vadamaradchi, South- West, Karaveddy, 2008. PP.158-174.
- The Sangam Poem: Re-reading, Ilankathir, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2006. PP. 49-56.
- Tamil Drama and Theatre Tradition in Peradeniya University, Thalam Art and literary magazine, Thirumarai Kalamanram, Mannar, 2009,p.19.
- Devotional poetry: Language, Aesthetics and Philosophy, Hindu Dharmam, Hindu Student Union, University of Peradeniya, 2006. PP. 35-40.
- Kaaman Kooththu – A form of Art or a Ritual. Shakithya vlzha magazine. Ministry of Education and Hindu Religious Affairs, Central province.2005.PP. 64-66.
- A review of Mahakavi’s four poems and a short story, Ilankathir, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2004/2005. PP. 128-135
- Bharathi’s poem: Akkinik Kunchu - sociological perspective,Tamil Ilankathir, 75th Jubilee Special issue, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya,2003. PP. 67-73.
- Contemporary Hinduism - Some notes, Hindu Dharmam, Hindu Student Union, University of Peradeniya, 2001. PP. 73-77.
- A critical study of Historical writings of modern Sri Lankan Tamil literature, Gnanam-100th Special issue of Sri Lankan modern Tamil literature, Gnanam, Art and literary magazine, Colombo, September, 2008. PP. 75-78
- History of Sri Lankan Tamil Short Story: Early Attempts & Their Developments- Based on Short Stories complied by Sitpi, Writer Sitpi Sivasaravanapavan –75th Jubilee- Special issue.Gnanam, Art literary magazine, Colombo,June, 2008. PP. 42-45.
- Kulappam – A new Drama in up-country, Gnanam, Art and literary magazine, Colombo. November, 2007. PP.28-29.
- Literary creations of Mahakavi - Some Notes, Mallikai- 40th Anniversary magazine, January, 2005. PP. 135-136.
- Diasporic conditions as represented in expatriate poetry in Tamil, Gnanam- Art and literary magazine, Special issue of 4th writers festival in Australia. Colombo. February, 2004. PP. 53-56
- Diaspora Tamils, Mallikai- 39th Anniversary magazine, Colombo. January. 2004. PP. 123-126.
- Ramanichandran - A commercial writer, Ekalaivan- Social, Art, Literary, Educational and Scientific magazine. April-May, 2003. PP. 22-24
- Prof. S.Vithiyananthan – Personality and Role, Special issue of Thiraviyam magazine. Bharathithasan. Library, Alvai, Jaffna. 2003. PP. 40-50.
- Wonders of Science- some notes ozhi magazine, Point Pedro.2000. PP.19-22.
- The role of Gnanam Literary magazine in Srilankan Literary journalism, Thinakkural.06.09.2008, P.5.
- Expansion of Diasporic Literary Endeavors, Thinakkural.20.03.2005. P. 4
- Contribution of Kulanthai M. Shanmukalinkam to Srilankan Tamil drama, Thinakkural, 13.01.2002, P.7.
- Contribution of Prof A.S.GnanaSambanthan to Tradition and Modernity) Thinakkural, 10.09.2002, PP.8-9
- The modern era in college history with special reference to J/Uddupiddy,American Mission College, Special Souvenir to commemorate 150 years, J/Udduppidy American Mission College, 2002, PP.55-59.
- Nadanthaai vaali - A review of Peradeniya University Drama,Thinikaran, 02.12.2002., PP.14-15.
- The significance of Thaipongal – Ritual and Identity, Thaipongal day special issue, Thinakkural, 14.01. 2001, P.24.
- A short Cultural history of Selva sannithy temple, Uthayan, 25.08.1999, P.9.
- Contribution of Murugaijan to Tamil language, National Arts council, puthuvasantham, 2009,pp.27-33.
- Sri Lankan Tamil Poetry: Rajamarthandan’s Readings, Gnanam- Art and literary magazine, Colombo. February, 2009. PP. 33-36.
- Contribution of Nanthini seviyar to Modern literature, An anthology of Nanthini Seviyar’s Works, Kovai: Vidiyal Publication. 2014.
- Pulavarmani Neelakandan – Some notes, Gnanaguru, Uduppiddy: Pulavarmani Neelakandan’s memorial publication.2015.
Memberships and Awards
- LBNC – Tamil Department Coordinator, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya.
- International conference Coordinator, Department of Tamil, University of Peradeniya.
- Executive committee member, Hindu graduate Association, University of Peradeniya, 2008/2009, 2014/2015.
- Member of the Tamil collections development committee of the main library, University of Peradeniya library network, 2008.
- Editor of Hindu Dharmam, Hindu student Union, University of Peradeniya -2003/2004.
- Editor of Nadaraja Dharshanam, Mr. K. Nadarajah’s Fecilitation committee, J/Uduppiddy American College, Valvettithurai. 2009.
- Resource Person - Tamil language, Information and Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka, 2008.
- One of the Editorial board member – Prof. V. Nandakumar’s manivizha, Felicitation volume , Manivizha committee, Peradeniya
- Orator of the University debate team, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya 2001/2004.
- Life member of Hindu graduate Association University of Peradeniya From 2008.
- Member of Cultural Society, Vadamaradchi south and west secretariat, Karaveddy, 2007.
- Chief Editor – “Nadaraja dhashanam’’ Mr. K. Nadarajah’s felicitation volume felicitation committee, J/Uduppiddy American Mission College Valvettiturai, 2006.
- Resource Person of Gnanam Art and Literary magazine, since 2006.
- Life member of old boys Association J/Uduppiddy American Mission College, Valvettiturai, since 2005.
- Life Member of Gnanam Art and Literary Society, Colombo since 2006.
- Arumuka Navalar Memorial Award for Tamil (Most meritorious) at the convocation 21st December 2005.
- University Scholarship for Academic Excellence – Bachelor of Arts Examination 2004/2005.
- Rathna Deepa Award for Poetry, Hill Country Cultural and Art Association, Kandy 21st March 2006.
- Mahapola Higher Education (Merit) Scholarship, Awarded by the Mahapola Higher Education Scholarship Trust Fund, Sri Lanka. 1999/2000.
- Scholarship for Higher Education, Awarded by Rehabilitation Education Development Fund for Highest performance in Arts stream, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2001.
- Scholarship for Higher Education, Prof. A.Thurairajah Memorial Scholarship for Higher Education J/Uduppiddy American Mission College, 1999.
- Scholarship for University Students, Ramakirushna Mission, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2002-2005.
- Scholarship for Higher Education, Multipurpose CO-OP Society, Uduppiddy, Jaffna, 1999.
- Best Orator Award – at Debate Competition, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2003.
- Varapiragash Memorial Award, 1st Prize for Short Story, Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2002.
- Scholarship for Best Student, Teachers’ Welfare Society, J/Uduppiddy American Mission College, 1999.
- Best Orator Award, Debate Competition (Inter University Level) at 75th Anniversary celebrations of Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2003.
- All Island Student Sahithya Award, for Lyric Writing (Inter University Level) Literary Council, University of Peradeniya, 2002.
- All Island Student Sahithya Award, for Poetry (Inter University Level) Literary Council, University of Peradeniya, 2002.
- All Island Student Sahithya Award, for Short Story (Inter University Level) Literary Council, University of Peradeniya, 2002.
- Gold Medal, Poetry Competition (Inter University Level) at 75th Anniversary celebrations of Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2003.
- Award for Debate Competition (Inter University Level) 75th Anniversary celebration of Tamil Society, University of Peradeniya, 2003.
- Award for Elocution Contest, Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs and National Youth Services Council, 2003.
- Award for Lyric Writing, Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs and National Youth Services Council, 2003.
- Award for Poetry, Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs and National Youth Services Council, 2003.