Mr. Sudesh Mantillake
Department of Fine Arts,
University of Peradeniya,
Mantillake is a researcher, dancer and experimental choreographer. He
trained in Kandyan dance, Kathak and contemporary dance. He has done
internships at the National Museum of Dance, New York and at the Sri
Lanka Educational, Cultural and Welfare Foundation, London.
|* BA (Peradeniya, Sri
* M.Sc. (Lugano, Switzerland)
|* Senior Treasurer, Fine
Arts Society, University of Peradeniya (2010 to date).
* Lecturer (probationary), Department of Fine Arts, Faculty of Arts,
University of Peradeniya (2010- to date).
* Deputy Person in Charge, activity C (Promoting student empowerment,
motivation, creativity and mutual understanding through art and
culture) Improving Relevance and Quality of undergraduate Education
(IRQUE) Project (QEF) . Batch 3, Faculty of Arts, University of
* Temporary Lecturer, Department of Fine Arts, Faculty of Arts,
University of Peradeniya , Sri Lanka (2006- 2010).
* Visiting Lecturer, Department of Performing Arts, Sri Palee Campus,
University of Colombo
|* Member, Forum UNESCO -
University and Heritage International network (FUUH)
* Leonardo Fellowship for outstanding applicants of graduate studies in
Lugano, Leonardo Foundation, Ticino , Switzerland (2006)
* University Scholarship for the best applicants, University of Lugano
, Switzerland (2004/05)
* University prize for acade"No Tickets: The Wayside and Open Theatre’s
Critique of the Commercialization of Theatres and Public Spaces."
American Comparative Literature Association. 2012.
|* Multiple identities and
development of vannamas., a lecture
demonstration on a form of traditional Kandyan dance, in January 2011,
Galle Literary Festival, Galle , Sri Lanka
* Revealing Kandyan Dance., presented in February 2009, International
Centre for Ethnic Studies (ICES), Kandy , Sri Lanka .
* Sri Lankan Dance: at a glance. National Museum of Dance, Saratoga
Springs , New York , USA , August 2005
|* Dance and Performance
studies , Communication, Cultural Heritage
Dias, G.S.S.R. Samarakoon, A. Mantillake, S. 2011. Portrayal of mental
illness in Sinhala films. Sri Lanka Journal of Medicine. 20 (2).
* Ves Dance: A semiotic Reading . (A book on Ves dance, the most
popular dance phenomenon of Kandyan dance tradition of Sri Lanka ), (in
Sinhala). Colombo : Vishada. 2010.
* Hata gena kata (Tales about Hata). A collection of articles on
controversial theatre director and an actor Gamini Hattotuwegama and
his theatre. Edited with A. Samarakoon. Peradeniya: Arts Council,
University of Peradeniya . 2010.
* Ves netuma., a common dance type in Kandyan dance of Sri Lanka: A
Semiotic analysis of selected features with a brief introduction to the
relevant approaches of Indian and Western semiotics. in Studies in
Theatre and Performance, Volume 29, Number 2, pp 187-192 (Bristol:
Intellect Ltd., 2009).
|* Program Associate,
International Centre for Ethnic Studies (ICES), Kandy , Sri Lanka .
(2009 Oct-2010 Oct)
* Participant, International Creative Workshop for Educators organized
by UNESCO at the College of Fine Arts and Design, University of
Sharjah, UAE. 2007