General Education in Kalutara, Galle and Kandy
University Education at Peradeniya and Hawaii
- PhD in English, University of Hawaii (Manoa), USA
- BA (Hons) in English (Peradeniya, Sri Lanka)
- Professor in English
- Head, Department of English (from July 2017)
- Editor, The Sri Lanka Journal of the Humanities 2012-2015
- Chief Editor, Gratiaen Trust funded Translation Project 2008/2009
- Joint Coordinator, Programme in Translation Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya (2002-2006)
- Visiting Professor at Bowdoin College (USA), Spring 2015, Whitman College (USA) Fall 2007, and Carleton College (USA), Spring 1996.
Feminist Literary Criticism,
Migrant and Diasporic Writing,
Research Publications (selected)
- Co-author, “Women’s Political Representation and Participation in Sri Lanka”, National Human Development Report (2016), UNDP Country Office. Forthcoming.
- “Leonard Woolf’s The Village in the Jungle and A.P. Gunarathne’s Beddegama: Which the Original and Which the Translation?” Phoenix: Journal of the Sri Lanka Association of Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies,” Ed. S.W. Perera & Nihal Fernando. Forthcoming.
- “Violence against Women: Exception or the Norm? Perspectives from Sri Lanka,”
Perspectivas transculturales/Violence against Women: Cross-Cultural Perspectives, Ed. Rita Radl Philipp and Conceiçao Fonseca-Silva, Santiago de Compostela: Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, 2014.
- “Where Have All the ‘Women’ Gone? A Consideration of Gender and Literary Production in Sigiri Graffiti.” The Sri Lanka Journal of the Humanities. Vol. XXXV. 1 & 2 (2009): 1-26.
- “Gendering Identity, Engendering Difference: A Critique of Femininities-in-the-making in Contemporary Lanka.” Identity and Difference. Ed. John Holt & P B Meegaskumbura, Kandy: ISLE, 2006.
- “`Her Body, Her Right’?: Interrogating the Discourse on Abortion in Sri Lanka.” Sri Lanka Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 27.1 & 2 (2004): 17-59.
- “`A Fish Without a Bicycle’?: Annalukshmi’s Choice in Selvadurai’s Cinnamon Gardens.” CRNLE Reviews Journal. 2000:130-141.
- “(An)Other Side to Bertha Mason?: Reading ‘Race’ into Wide Sargasso Sea.” Journal of Commonwealth Literature. 35, 1 (2000), 27-43.
- “Sri Lankan Organizations for Women: A Critical Appraisal.” Women and Politics in Sri Lanka: A Comparative Perspective. Ed. Sirima Kiribamune. Kandy: ICES
Memberships and Awards
- Martha Farrell Memorial Fellowship under ACU Titular Fellowships (2017)
- State Literary Award 2012 for Best Translation into English from Sinhala in the Creative Writing Category
- Fellowship [one month], under Erasmus Mundus Action II-Experts II [A Staff Exchange Programme]
- Fellowship, O’Donnell Visiting Educator, Whitman College, WA, USA
- Fellowship, Advanced Research and Lecturing Awards, Fulbright Hayes Foundation, USA
- Fellowship (South Asia Region), Social Science Research Council (SSRC), New York
- A Fellowship for Female Doctoral Students in the Asia-Pacific Region from the American Association of University Women, Honolulu Branch, Fall 1993
- An International Fellowship for Doctoral Studies from the American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- An Award from the Graduate Student Organization, University of Hawaii for "Outstanding Achievement as a Graduate Student Researcher, 1991-92”
- An East-West Center Award for Graduate Studies 1987-1991.