Dr. Pushpika Masakorala is a Senior Lecturer in Geography at the University of Peradeniya.
She received her school education at Sangamittha college, Galle. She passed Advanced Level
examination keeping record of island first rank in Arts stream in 1991. She obtained her
B.A (Hon) degree in Geography with a first class from the University of Peradeniya in 1998.
She received her MPhil degree in Social Change (Development Studies) in 2002 from the Norwegian
University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway. She joined to the University of Peradeniya
as a lecturer in the department of Geography in 2002 and she was promoted to the grade of senior
lecturer in 2009. She has the teaching and research capacity in the fields of human geography,
cartography and statistics. She successfully completed a postgraduate diploma in Applied Statistics
in the Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture (PGIA), University of Peradeniya in 2011.
She started her PhD studies at the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS), University of Kelaniya in Sri Lanka
with the assistance of the Ministry of higher education reserving a scholarships under HETC project
and successfully completed her PhD. She was awarded a PhD on Population Geography in 2017.
Further she received MSc in Geo-Informatics at the Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture (PGIA),
University of Peradeniya in 2018. Currently Pushpika has engaged in writing a text book on Statistics
and GIS for Human Geographers. Her effort is to expand the knowledge of positivistic approach to human geography.
- PhD in Geography (University of Kelaniya), Thesis: A Spatio-temporal study of fertility behavior in Sri Lanka: Case study in Kandy district.
- MPhil in Social Change (NTNU, Norway) Thesis: The Problems and Challenges of Handicraft Industry in Sri Lanka: Case study in Galle District.
- MSc in Geo-Informatics (PGIA, University of Peradeniya) Project report: Spatio-temporal study of urban growth and urban sprawl in Kandy urban area using GIS and Remote Sensing (RS).
- PGD in Applied Statics (PGIA, University of Peradeniya, Project report: Changes of Student Performances During and After the Ragging Period
- BA (Hon) in Geography (University of Peradeniya) Dissertation: Socio- Economic Impact of Environmental Conservation: Case study in Rumassala Forest conservation area in Galle District.
- Appointment as the departmental coordinator of the Department of Geography for External degree programmes (2017 and 2018)
- The Volunteer Student Counselor, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya (2016)
- The post of part-time senior student counselor, Faculty of Arts, University of Peradeniya (2007, 2008 and 2009)
- The Executive Committe of the Alumni Association of the University of Peradeniya for the term 2007/08
- Population Geography, Population studies, Settlement and Urban Geography, Development studies
- Masakorala P.P and Dangalle N.K ,(2017) Has Sri Lanka Reached the Replacement Level of Fertility? A Geographic Exploration, Presented at 24 th November 2017, Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka (i PURSE) Conference Proceedings, p. 537-538.
- Masakorala, P.P and Dayawansa N.D.K, (2015) Spatio-Temporal Analysis of ?Urbanization, Urban Growth and Urban Sprawl Since 1976-2011 in Kandy City and Surroundings Area Using GIS and Remote Sensing, South Asian Urban Forums 2015, September 21-22, Conference Proceedings. p.26.
- Masakorala, P.P and Dayawansa N.D.K., (2015), Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Urbanization, urban Growth and Urban Sprawl Since 1976-2011 in Kandy City and Surrounding Area using GIS and Remote Sensing, Bhumi: The Planning Research Journal (Special Issue) Selected papers from South Asia Urban Forum 2015 p.26-44
- Masakorala,P.P, Dangalle N.K, Rathnayake, R. (2015) Spatio-Temporal Variability of fertility and Marriage Behavior in Sri Lanka: Demographic Explanation For Fertility Transition, Proceeding of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol19, 5th and 6 th November. p.431
- Masakorala P.P, Dangalle, N.K, Rattnayake, R (2014) Spatio-temporal analysis of fertility behavior in Kandy District, Presented at 7 th and 8 th of July 2014, HETC Symposium, p.140.
- Masakorala, P.P (2014) Spatial analysis and modeling child mortality and nutrition in Sri Lanka, Presented at 4 th 5th July 2014, Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka (i PURSE), Abstract proceedings, p. 701.
- Masakorala, P.P (2013) The study of fertility behavior among generations: An analysis of fertility behavior and attitudes of mothers and daughters, Population Association of Sri Lanka, Abstract proceedings, p.3.
- Masakorala, P.P (2013) The relationship between socio-economic development and fertility decline in Sri Lanka, , Peradeniya University Research Sessions: PURSE, 2012, Abstract proceedings, p.256
- Masakorala, P.P (2013), Fertility transition in between tradition and modernity in Sri Lanka, Annual Academic sessions, Faculty of Humanities and social sciences, University of Ruhuna, Abstract proceedings, p.31
- Masakorala, P.P (2011), Trends, Patterns and Determinants of Changing Sex Ratio in the Sri Lankan Population, Presented at December 16-17 of December 2011, The 1 st International Conference on the Social Sciences and the Humanities, Proceedings Vol 1, p.189-194.
- Masakorala, P.P (2011), Changes of Student Performances During and After the Ragging Period, Presented at 24 th November 2011, Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Abstract Proceedings, Vol.16, p. 06.
- Masakorala, P.P (2010), The changes in the sex ratio of undergraduate in the Sri Lankan state universities, Presented at 18 th-20th March 2010, 12th International Conference on Sri Lanka Studies, p.156.
- Masakorala, P.P (2010),Time-space changes of population growth and development in Sri Lanka, National Geography Conference, Department of Geography, University of Peradeniya, Abstract Proceedings, p.53
- Masakorala, P.P (2007), Critical Analysis of Population Theories (Sinhala) – Enduwara Geographical Research Journal, Ariya Publishers: Warakapola.p. 295-320.
- Nature Problems and Challenge of Handicraft Industry – Presented at 10th International Conference on Sri Lanka Studies, 16-18 December 2005, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
Awards and scholarships
- Award of scholarship for the PhD, Under the Higher Education for the First Century (HETC) project, Ministry of Higher Education, 2012-2016.
- Awarded the Norwegian Quota Programme Scholarship for developing countries to follow M.Phil. in Social Change (Development Studies) 1999-2002 at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway,.
- Awarded the certificate for: Best Performance in Geography, Senkadagala Lions Club Sri Pathirana Memorial Prize for Geography, Special Arts Degree Part -2 Examination- 1997/1998 at University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka,
- Awarded the certificate for: Best Performance in Geography, Special Arts Degree Part-2 Examination- 1997/1998 at University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka,
- Gold medal for the island best Student in Arts scheme – G.C.E. (A/L) Examination – 1991, Sangamiththa College, Galle.
Training programes and workshops
- Successfully completed the Geospatial Applications and Mapping with OpenStreetMap, conducted by Postgraduate Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences (PGIHS), University of Peradeniya in collaboration with OSGEO Sri Lanka chapter held on 17 and 18 may 2018.
- Successfully completed with merit pass the online course research writing in the social science offered by the AuthorAID programme at INASP held on 23 January to 12 March 2018.
- Successfully completed an academic speaking and writing course, British Council and university of Perdeaniya held on 23-27 March 2015.
- Successfully completed in a English academic speaking and writing skills 50 hour course at the University of Peradeniya with the British Council held on15 to 22 September 2014.
- Successfully completed the hands-on training course on Arc GIS 10.2 Department of Geography, University of Peradeniya, held on 22-23 of May 2014.
- Successfully completed the 4 day training programme on R statistical methods conducted by University of Kelaniya- August 2013.
- Participating in the workshop for developing scientific communication skills of young researchers, Sida/SAREC Library Support Project of the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka- 5th to 08 July 2010.
- Successfully completed the GIS and its' Application, Postgraduate Institute of Science (PGIS), University of Peradeniya, held on 26,27,28 November and 5,6,7 and 8 December 2007.
Contribution as a resource Person
- Resource Person- The Training workshop on urban landscape ecological planning- A case study on Kandy at the PGIHS, University of Peradeniya on 16 and 17 of February 2018
- Guest lecturer, Sri Lanka Geography Teachers Association, 2015.03.21
- Guest lecturer, Sri Lanka Geography Teachers Association, 2013.06.08
- Guest lecturer, Sri Lanka Geography Teachers Association, 2013.05.20
- Guest lecturer, Sri Lanka Geography Teachers Association, 2013.03.21
- Guest lecturer for Advanced Level teachers, Education Department of Central Province, 2013.03.04
- Guest lecturer, Department of History, University of Peradeniya, 2011.12.11
- Appointment as a resource person, General Degree Examination in Arts, CDCE, University of Peradeniya, Seminar Series from 2005